Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Because I Knew You (and a random update on my life's goings-on)

It's easy to think that people who have caused us pain in this life are better off out of our lives. I'm thinking that maybe that isn't so... Sure, "toxic" people need to be avoided. But I also think that every person that God allows in our lives has served a purpose. I used to roll my eyes when people told me that. It seemed like bad things happened through screwed up people just, well, because. I felt like there really wasn't a reason other than pain like that was just part of the crap of life. Not so much now. I think that because I've experienced different things at the hands of different people, I am who I am today. I think I'm a better person because of what I've gone through. Stronger than I would've been. Wiser. More serious. More discerning.

True, getting cut deep by someone you love isn't necessarily fun, or desirable. But it molds. It's like the knife that smooths away the rough places and adds beauty.

A cracked vase can still be beautiful.

I'm starting to think that if some of those bad and painful things hadn't happened, my life would be different. I would be different. I would probably hate my life. I may seem like I have a lot to hate now. There are things I wish were different, but I could be so much worse off. Just some things I've been musing about lately.

I wonder what my life would be like without the 
stupid people in it...? 
It'd probably suck.

Aaaaaannnnnddd:

Here's the random update. I've been doing some reading/studying about the "Quiverfull" and "Patriarch" philosophies that seem to be sweeping some conservative circles. Some of my close friends hold to these ideas. In my mind, those ideas are insane. Far-fetched doesn't begin to describe them. This isn't even personal opinion. I did some Biblical research as well, and I find that so much of the doctrine in those philosophies is flawed. I might do a random rant of the two philosophies one day and go a little deeper.

I definitely don't feel the need to judge or slam any particular people group, but some common groups that advocate the "Quiverfull" and "Patriarch" philosophies include:

--Vision Forum (particularly "Beautiful Girlhood" and "The All American Boy")
--Michael and Debi Pearl
--The Duggar Family
--Colin and Nancy Campbell (Above Rubies editor)

I'm not knocking everything about these groups, but I find much of their ideas flawed and sadly, abusive to women and young children. I may or may not go in depth at a later time. I don't really feel the need to start a debate here... Just throwing my thoughts out. If you're interested to know more about both idea groups, do some research on your own and find out what God truly has to say about those matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment